Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Cairns-great barrier reef

We arrived in cairns (pronounced cans) early in the morning. We couldn't go to our hostel yet so we grabbed a cup of coffee at one of the only resturants open. It was right near this public park/ pool that looked like an infinity pool to the ocean. 
We then checked into our hostel and decided to o to a public market. I tried Star Apple there a fruit native to australia.
It was ok kinda soft and squishy but
Sweet. I also tried coconut with
Honey mostly because it looked like fun to eat. 
Later that day we just walked around cairns. I bought my didgeridoo after getting some lessons from the guy there. It was pretty cool he taught me different techniques. Even though it kinda upset me I could of used the money to skydive I think I will be happy to have the didgeridoo. Even if it means I need to go on the streets to play and earn my money back. Haha 
Later that night we decided to go out, which we never really do bc we are always so busy but we decided we needed to be more fun and not act like we were 24 going on 84. We went on this pub crawl which was only $17 and sounded like a great deal. But we spent way more than that on drinks since the drinks were so weak :(. 
Jess breaking it down with some aussi guys haha. They like to dress up and get wigs to be funny. It's so
Strange but so many Australian guys do it. They acturally call them bogens. It's like halloween every day there haha.
Than there was this guy...the next day I was so tired but we had to get up and ready to dive the barrier reef. We also had to stop drinking the night before at 12am bc you can't dive if you have consumed alcohol within 12 hours of your dive (or something close to 12). Getting out to the reef was rough I am so glad I took a dramamin, however I still felt so sick. 
My group had 4 people in it, Jess and I, and 2 Canadian guys. Our guide was from Italy I think he was probably late 30s-40s but so hot. Anyways.... The dice was pretty cool it was almost more fun to have the gear on and keep going dealer under water and to sit on the ocean floor. However you could see the reef just as well when you snorkeled. It's sad the reef is not as colorful as I would of thought it would be because of all the human pollution a lot of it has died. Our dive was about 30 mins under water we saw a reef shark and all different types of fish. The photo above I bought for $20 and regret not paying the $50 for all the photos. At least I have one though. 
After lunch we snorkeled. I had my wetsuit on but took it off after a while because it keeps u afloat and it's harder to drive down and see the reef closer. We saw a sea turtle which was pretty
Awesome. We could swim right next to
It. 
I took all these photos with my iPhone, I bought this water proof bag to put my phone in and it worked pretty well. My phone didn't get wet at all but would act up time from time because of the pressure I am pretty sure. Overal the reef was pretty cool an I am glad I got to see it. They say in 40 years the reef could e close to gone bc of all the pollution and global warming it's so sad to think about! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment